Wednesday 26 October 2011

I can use links

I’ve been fairly busy recently absorbing some of the Durham Book Festival’s events. A reading by Paul Farley and Michael Symmons Roberts, who co-wrote the book Edgelands: Journeys Into England’s True Wilderness, was fascinating, as was Hannah Jane Walker’s This is Just to Say, a cross-discipline, participatory show on the theme of apology. I’m reviewing TIJTS for Newcastle Centre For The Literary Arts’s online magazine, Friction – watch this space.

On a personal level, I eventually sent out a batch of poems. I’d previously taken rejections from several magazines somewhat to heart and decided to hang fire and do some serious editing before re-submitting. So, after some useful feedback in an informal workshop with Christy Ducker, I’ve sent the poems back out into the wilderness. I’ve also submitted my entry for the Eric Gregory Awards; never before have I checked a letter so attentively before handing it over to the Post Office.

I’m reading again in South Shields next week. Red Squirrel Press are posthumously publishing a new James Kirkup collection so I have the somewhat nerve-wracking honour of reading some of the late James Kirkup’s new-old poems. I’ve also got the date for the publication of my pamphlet, but I’m going to save all of that information for a later post. In the meantime, I’m off to the Lake District!

No comments:

Post a Comment